Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Breadwinner


Oh no, he's gonna find me. If I move then he'll shoot where the poppies are moving, if he catches me then I'll be put in jail. I don't know what will happen if I get put in jail, I think that I'll take my chances running. I took a break for it, I heard gunfire and ran faster. A bullet hit the sole of my shoe on an angle. It didn't hit me but now there's a hole in my shoe which I worked for a year to get enough money for. I could see the end of the field, but I think that he's getting closer. "Yes! I'm out! It's easy to lose guards in the market place, I should be fine now."

Life in Afghanistan is tough, the more people you had in your family the less money you had in your family. I'm pretending to be a tea boy so my family doesn't get mad at me. I don't know how I'm going to explain the bullet hole in my shoe though. My boss told me that he'd pay me me more if I got more than two bags of opium, but I need to get two full bags or no extra money. I'll have to go back to get some more, since I only have one and a half filled.

I'm the only one who can work in my family because no one knows where my dad is and I'm the only boy who's capable of walking. My older brother's legs got blown off in a bombing a while ago.He was my age when it happened. I have two sisters, my brother, and my mom to take care of. My brother says that you have to be fast to be a tea boy because the faster you run the more tea you sell and the more money you earn. I'm not very fast so I'm picking opium instead, it pays better anyways.

Some people might think that I'm a criminal, stealing, picking opium, lying to my parents, but I'm just making a living the best way I know how. I want you to think about if you would do the same as me if you lived here under these conditions, earning just enough money to survive on flat bread and dirty water. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment