Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How Do Writers Write Empathy?

Once I find out I'll tell you I promise. Let's see, i think that they use an example of something you might know about, like the character's dad died, and yours did too, you'd feel empathy for them because you have been through the same situation. A writer could say something like this. "Hi my name is Bob, I'm sixteen and I'm joining the army to look for my dad. He went to Afghanistan eleven months and thirteen days ago, and has been reported missing presumed dead for three weeks now, but I believe that my father didn't die, that he's toughing it out somewhere over there, so I'm going to look for him. I haven't told anybody why I'm going over yet because I'm afraid they'll keep me from leaving, I know that I'm going to the same camp as him so I hope that he's somewhere around there. Wish me luck!" Do you feel empathy for Bob? Would you feel more empathy for Bob if your dad had gone missing?

Another way to make you feel empathy is to say something that would just be terrifying if you were them. Like in The Hunger Games, wouldn't it be terrifying to be in that arena having to kill everyone in it? I think that that makes you feel empathy for everyone in there.

That is how I think writers make you feel empathy, like the saying, "Try walking a mile in my shoes." :(

No comments:

Post a Comment